What to expect before your stay at our treatment center
From your first interaction with The Steward House to your last, you can count on compassionate care from a group of experts committed to you and your recovery. Whether connecting you with our clinicians directly, arranging an in-person campus visit, or simply answering questions to better acquaint you with our program, we’re here to support you as you explore treatment options.
If you decide The Steward House is the right program for you, we schedule time to prepare you for your stay. Either in-person or over the phone, we guide you through our admission, financial and treatment assessment processes and procedures. This discussion helps prepare you for the comprehensiveness and time involved in the admission assessment process and the differences between a voluntary and involuntary admission.
What to bring
New Canaan, CT is located in Southern New England and weather conditions change seasonally and sometimes during the day. We recommend that you bring one week’s worth of clothing, in one small suitcase and that you be prepared to “layer”.
What to bring:
- Casual Clothing
- Jeans and sweatpants
- Sleeveless shirts/tank tops are approved only as undergarments to be worn under other cover-ups
- Winter hats for outdoor use only
- Limited toiletries
- New unopened toiletries
- Toiletries must be alcohol free and non-aerosol (ie: alcohol free mouthwash, hairspray, etc.)
- Hairdryer, curling iron, razors, tweezers, and nail clippers are permitted at staff discretion
- Nail polish and remover to be held on to by staff
- Lighters at staff discretion
- New unopened packs of cigarettes
- iPod - music only
- Pillows, comforters and stuffed animals
- Magazines and or books without spirals (appropriate content)
- Jewelry (patient responsibility)
- Maximum $30 cash (additional funds can be added to a charge account)
- High Efficiency (HE) laundry detergent
- Cell phones, PDAs, laptops, computers, & Electronic Book Readers at staff discretion
- Nicotine lozenges
- Yoga mat
- Please bring a maximum of 2 suit-cases for your transitional stay. Any excess will be stored in Admissions and returned at discharge. Silver Hill Hospital does not assume responsibility for any belongings stored. Please leave valuable baggage and purses at home.